Friday, December 15

The flu


Caleb received his flu vaccination today. He was surprised by the cruelty of the "medicine" we told him he'd be getting. He talked about his shot the rest of the day. "I don't like shots, Mama. They hurt." We explained that shots only hurt for a little while, but getting the flu would make him really sick...worse than the hurt of the shot. This conversation echoed several times throughout the day.

This evening, we repeated the same conversation once again. Then Caleb asked how people get the flu. Daddy and I explained as briefly and simply as possible about germs and how they get into our bodies. "That's why we wash our hands so much."

A few minutes later this question arises: "But, Mama, why did that Christmas song talk about turning on the flu?" A song in our Christmas musical referred to closing up the flue of a fireplace. [Quick definition of what a flue is...] "Oh."

Then the best part after a few minutes of silence...
"Mama, how old is the flu that makes you sick?"

*Scott and I exchange glances*
"Umm, well, Caleb, that's hard to tell."

"Mama, I bet that it's 35 years old."

No comments:

Post a Comment

I LOVE to hear from you! Thanks for stopping by!