Saturday, February 3

YardStones (FootStones?)

I thought that Milestones might be an appropriate title for this post, but seeing as I'm going to describe the ever changing growth of two kiddos, I thought smaller increments might be better. :)

Anna is to be 9 months old just after Valentine's Day this month! I can't believe the months have flown by. She is so content most of the time, which has been a blessing considering the circumstances of our lives right now. As a result of this contentment, however, she has not been in a hurry to get mobile or display newly acquired skills. (Which could also be a blessing) She waited until New Year's Eve to roll over for the first time (almost 8 mo.), and when she did, it was back to front, then immediately front to back. I am also pleased to announce that Dandy (Scott's Dad) got her started with the concept of clapping just before Christmas, and by the time we were at Mimi and Pawpaw's a week later, she was delighted to do it on command.

Just two weeks ago, the college girl who cares for her in the church nursery told me Anna was pounding on the 4-key piano toy and wailing away in her high-pitched singing squeal. And now, just a week ago, we were out to eat with Brad and Kati, some friends of ours, and when Kati waved at her, she responded by waving her own fingers! It's fun to watch her learn and grow! We're expecting her first two teeth any day now, and it's so funny to watch how she copes with the feeling: she sticks out her tongue just a little and sucks on her gums. I'll attach a picture to this post soon!

Caleb is also doing some learning and growing. We've had a hectic winter, with normal Christmas traveling followed by a return to Corpus Christi just a week later for my grandpa's funeral. I always assumed that Caleb was pretty flexible, since I'm not one for rigid schedules and routines. However I was reminded rather quickly that we all crave some semblance of routine once he began struggling with obedience and the abnormal schedule we were following. Getting a virus as well as strep-throat didn't help either, and our sweet boy is learning how to cope with feeling sub-par and still obeying Mama and Daddy, even in the little things. It's been quite a challenge lately. A good friend here reminded me that it's always hard to see our precious little ones show their very own sin natures, and that it's so amazing to relate even a little to what it's like for God to lovingly teach, train, correct, and be merciful toward us, His children.

We as parents are reaching our own little "yardstones" as we learn to be teachable by the Lord, and to be patient and merciful with each other and with Caleb during these times.

I do want to share something funny that I never want to forget... Caleb has learned to love games like Candy Land and Chutes & Ladders. We're still trying to help him learn to follow rules of the game as he sees what is necessary to win and would rather not settle for the cards he is dealt or spins he winds up with. I try to use those teachable moments as often as possible so that maybe handling those moments will transfer to obedience and handling not getting his own way somewhere down the road. Today, as we were preparing for sliding the chutes and climbing the ladders, Caleb selected his game piece ( a little brownish-blonde haired girl) and, being the typical oldest child, selected mine also (a boy with dark brown skin and hair). I made the remark that Caleb always liked to choose that little girl. He mumbled something about pretending to be a girl. To find out more, I said, "Does that little girl remind you of something? Is that why you choose her?" (I thought maybe one of the girls in his preschool class was blonde and a good friend.) Here was his unprompted reply:


"Mama, she reminds me of how much I love you."

1 comment:

  1. Anonymous11:10 AM

    hi scott and lori! its cousin annie, my little addie has gotten good at rolling front to back she has figured that way she doesnt have to have tummy time!! I love reading what anna is doing, I know what we have to look forward to. By the way we have some friends who just moved to springfield he is a marine recruiter there I believe. He was briens instructer when he first got to his job school and I played softball with his wife. any way I enjoy the blog and the updates

    ReplyDelete

I LOVE to hear from you! Thanks for stopping by!