My sweet boy always has a better plan or idea. When his agenda is interrupted, I know about it simply because his brow is deeply furrowed, he utters some guttural sound in frustration, and I'm likely to see a physical display of some sort. Not your laying-down-and-kicking-and-screaming variety, but a display, nonetheless.
Take this weekend for instance. We've learned previously about good stewardship (taking care of things whether they belong to us or not), respecting those in charge of you, and we are working on responding calmly to frustration. This scene opens at my mom's dining room table.
Me: Caleb, it's time to get down from the table and go (insert task here).
Caleb: (ignores)
Me: Please put your drink down and (do task) now. When you obey quickly, you will not get any bad consequences.
Caleb: (grunts) (slams cup down on table...big no-no on Mimi's easily scratched wooden table)
Me: (gets on his level for a serious conversation about obedience, stewardship, and acting angrily)
Caleb: But Mama, I was just putting the cup down fast so you would be prouder of me sooner.
My mom and I tried desperately to stifle our grins while trying to maintain our serious gazes.
I laugh inwardly because of the cleverness of his justification, but at the same time I'm reminded how often I do the very same thing when talking to the Lord...
No comments:
Post a Comment
I LOVE to hear from you! Thanks for stopping by!