Caleb came home from school Thursday to tell me they had learned about the Ten Commandments in chapel. He said that one of the people on stage was saying silly ones instead of the real commandments, which made it really funny.
I asked him if he learned any of the real ones. Here was his response.
C: No adults up in trees.
Me: (pausing) That was one of the silly ones right?
C: No, that's a real one. No adults in trees because they might fall down and get hurt.
Me: (pausing for quite a while, all while a friend nearby was trying not to laugh)
I figured it out pretty quickly. Have you?
No adultery
After a laugh, he wanted to know what adultery was. I answered in a child friendly way, but I'm curious to know how each of you would have answered a very curious four year old. I'll post my response to him in a comment after you guys give your two cents.
*Bear saw this first, so I challenged him on what he'd say. His response:
ReplyDeleteit might go something like this... "You see, Billy, when a man and a woman get married, they promise to love each other in a way that only a husband and wife can. Adultery is when the husband or wife breaks that promise to love somebody else in that way."
I was going to try to top it, but I don't see how that's possible. We can't wait to hear your response. Miss you!
I realized that most of my reading audience is on maternity leave :), so I'll go ahead and share what I told him. Kudos to Barron, who had a great explanation! Mine was as follows:
ReplyDeleteWell, you know how Daddy and I are married? Adultery would be if someone was not faithful to who they were married to, like if I was to spend a lot of time with a man who was not my husband, instead of focusing on Daddy.
Hmm, I think I may have to go with Bear's on this one. Does Caleb understand the meaning of faithful? He probably does-he's a genius. :)
ReplyDeleteWell, I'm sure "faithful" still is a little abstract in his mind. He is somewhat aware of the meaning because we've discussed it in stories. (Trust, keeping a promise), HOWEVER, the funny part was that he explained it later to Scott as:
ReplyDelete"adultery is when a person loses faith in who they're married to" could be applicable, could just be funny.