Tuesday, February 5

Super Tuesday? I'm glad I have till March.

For those of you who know me well, it's no surprise that I like to stay informed in areas of politics. Fox News is a channel I couldn't do without (though I fast from it occasionally). I actually scored 100% on the political awareness quiz on www.dontvote.org. (read the site's mission stmt)

So, as the coverage of Super Tuesday is unavoidable, I find myself considering for whom I will vote. No, I will not tell you straight up, because I have not decided for certain, and today's results may help me decide. On the one hand, there is one candidate who embraces my social conservative stances. Then there's another who is pretty conservative socially, but matches my fiscal conservative views better. Then there's another who claims to do both, yet in reality is fairly liberal, and could potentially be the nominee... (not to mention he flirted quite a bit with my sister at an event she was working at). Voting for one could take needed votes from another, and is there a third that I'd rather not see in office?

I heard some wise advice (second-hand) from presidential biographer Michael Beshloss (thanks, Dad, for passing it on!) . He said that regardless of who was elected, 8 to 11 of the past several presidents have, at some point in their terms, had to make some very difficult decisions that have ensured the survival of the US. Those decisions, however, have cost them their public image and their reputations/legacies as Presidents. He encouraged the crowd on hand to vote for someone who would be able to make those tough decisions and have the experience and humility to do so without considering how they would look afterward. Excellent advice, but that doesn't make my choice entirely clear....

Hence the conundrum. I'm glad that I have until the first week of March, now that I'm residing in a different state. I will pray through my decision for the primary election, and likely support whoever wins the nomination regardless. Will I stress over it or feel dejected like I did in 1992 when I thought the world as we knew it would end? No.

Here's why: It's not because politics don't matter (though they are not of ultimate importance either). It's because I know that ultimately whoever runs this great country is not in absolute control, nor is the congress.

For by him [Christ] all things were created: things in heaven and on earth, visible and invisible, whether thrones or powers or rulers or authorities; all things were created by him and for him. Col. 1:16

Everyone must submit himself to the governing authorities, for there is no authority except that which God has established. The authorities that exist have been established by God. Rom. 13:1


So, while I know that God's not out there "rooting" for one candidate's views, I do know that whoever eventually wins, He has in there for a reason. That may bring about good, or that may bring about hard times, but either one will result in God getting the glory. And, since that matches the purpose for why we're here in the first place, I'm good with that, and I'll continue on no matter what.

1 comment:

  1. What a refreshing viewpoint. Thanks, Lori!

    ReplyDelete

I LOVE to hear from you! Thanks for stopping by!