Saturday, September 12

Announcing the arrival of...

Abigail Grace McDonald!


(ok, so, we've already announced it, but read on, there are pictures attached!!)

One morning, bright dark and early, Scott and I traveled to a local hospital to induce labor on our 3rd child. After going in the wrong doors and the back-way through the ER to be admitted, we came to a labor/delivery room to prepare. We discovered I was already in labor! (Funny, you'd think I'd know it after two other labors/births)

We were so excited to finally reach the day when we'd meet and hold our sweet girl! The nurse looked at me while we were sitting there doing the prerequisite paperwork and asked if my other two kids were red-heads also. (? Maybe the room's lighting was bringing out the 40-or-so red hairs I have mixed in with blonde, brown, and, yes, white.) We began preparations and got settled. We saw my doctor, whom I really like! (Have I mentioned that before?) Pitocin was administered to speed things along. By 10:30 am and at least 5 hrs of close contractions, I inquired about when an epidural would be advisable. I wasn't miserable, but I knew things were progressing. I had experienced two perfect epidurals before, but my only concern was that I'd had friends whose epidurals had worn off when labor stalled. (I was told that doesn't happen.)

The epidural was administered by a funny but strange anesthesiologist. I loved being able to relax. Sweet girl was not "descending" quickly, and when epidural wore off (yup, wore off), I got an additional dose of a different med, which was VERY effective for a good while.

About the time that wore off (12 hours of labor at this point- come on sweet girl!), the L/D wing was bustling with lots and lots of deliveries, and we were getting excitedly anxious because we knew ours was imminent. My doctor, nurse, and the student nurse were occupied by lots of calls and a delivery next door, so when I knew it was time to deliver, imagine the conversation as I'm repeatedly saying "I have to push" and Scott's saying "Please don't push. It's just me in here. PLEASE."

Our doc made it just in time and it was only a moment before we beheld Abby with our own eyes for the first time! Praise the Lord! The pain wasn't all that bad, and there's something about birth that makes the recollection go away. Sweet Abby was 8 lbs. 6 oz. and 20 in long with an arrival time after 6 pm.

Wanna see our little Blessing #3?


Not much crying at first, until...

...cleanup made her mad. But not for long.

Quiet bonding with Mama. Tongue out over and over again. Silly cute little thing.


Goofy and somewhat disheveled big sis and big bro in their apropos attire.


Caleb immediately wanted to hold her, but the first thing he said after climbing up on the bed with me was... "How'd she get out of there anyway?"


Sweet big brother


Anna was apprehensive at first, so Mimi helped calm her.


Then she "sort-of" held her... for about 3 seconds.


Getting a checkup in the nursery


Sweet sleeping babe in her clear plastic hospital nursery crib


Going home outfit


Not liking being dressed in going home outfit



snuggly warm and ready to go home!

5 comments:

  1. i LOVE birth stories and can i say that abby is just precious! what a beautiful little addition for your sweet fam! congratulations mcdonald FIVE!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. She's a sweetheart!

    ReplyDelete
  3. i am loving this post...I was waiting patiently for for the details of sweet Abby's birth...I too love to hear birth stories!

    She is sweet and I love the pics of the big bro and big sis with their new baby sister!

    The fact that caleb immediately asked how she got out cracked me up!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love so much about this post!
    My favorite was Caleb's "How'd she get out of there anyway?" to which I probably would have responded, "Um, don't you have some television to watch?"

    Congrats, Lori!!! Wonderful telling of a beautiful moment. I can hear Scott's desperation in the "Please don't push . . ."

    ReplyDelete
  5. OK- seriously...I can't stand the thought that your children probably don't remember who we are...or even know who we are!!!

    ReplyDelete

I LOVE to hear from you! Thanks for stopping by!