Wednesday, September 12

Bring the Rain?

Scott had another excellent post on his blog . After that post, we discovered a song that had already been playing for a while on Christian radio. It's by MercyMe, and is appropriately titled "Jesus Bring the Rain." Can I share some of the lyrics with you?
I can count a million times ~ People asking me how I
Can praise You with all that I've gone through
The question just amazes me ~ Can circumstances possibly
Change who I forever am in You
Maybe since my life was changed ~ Long before these rainy days
It's never really ever crossed my mind
To turn my back on You oh Lord ~ My only shelter from the storm
But instead I draw closer through these times
So I pray
Bring me joy, bring me peace ~ Bring the chance to be free
Bring me anything that brings You glory
And I know there'll be days ~ When this life brings me pain
But if that's what it takes to praise You...
Jesus bring the rain.
I am yours regardless of ~ The dark clouds that may loom above
Because You are much greater than my pain
You who made a way for me ~ By suffering Your destiny
So tell me what's a little rain?
So I pray...
and the song continues, then ends with a prayerful, worshipful tag "Holy Holy Holy is the Lord God Almighty". (song copyrighted by MercyMe, http://www.mercyme.org/)
I can't tell you what a blessing the heart attitude and lyrics of the song have been to me. With all that we've experienced in the last year and a half (or two), and with the changes that have come as recently as June, I cling to the truth that Scripture teaches us about our Lord.
While I have not arrived or attained, and while I'm sure that my conduct during difficult times has not been spotless, I am learning through both hindsight and the continuing rain what it means to be crucified with Christ.

I'm presently doing a study on Galatians compiled by a famous Christian speaker. In it, she shares ten characteristics of the life illustrated by Galatians 2:20. "I have been crucified with Christ and I no longer live, but Christ lives in me. The life I live in the body, I live by faith in the son of God, who loved me and gave himself for me."
Of those ten, I'll share a few with you to encourage and challenge you, should you seek to grow deeper in your relationship with the Lord:
  • Like the disciples were clueless in John 16 about the events facing Christ, few will understand if you seriously decide to live a life crucified to self and alive in Christ.
  • You must be willing to drop your own personal will and plans and seek Him with all your heart in order to live out the plans God has for you according to Jer. 29:11-13.
  • There will be times when your dignity is shattered, and you may not be able to prove to others that your decision to stand firm in the Lord truly was the right way to go.
But if we are to truly choose victory in our battle (daily) with sin, we have to choose to die to ourselves-- just as Christ did in fulfilling God's plan for salvation.
All that to say that we can't expect our days to be rainless if we're following Christ. It's more a matter of being sensitive to where the Lord is leading and to what the Lord wants to teach us through the stormy times. I pray that I will continue to give up myself in order to allow the Lord to work in and through me, so that others can taste and see that the Lord is good!

bring me joy, bring me peace, bring the chance to be free
bring me anything that brings You glory
And I know there'll be days when this life brings me pain
but if that's what it takes to praise You, Jesus bring the rain.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I LOVE to hear from you! Thanks for stopping by!