Some suggested toothpaste or Soft Scrub. (abrasive, maybe?)
Others suggested WD 40 or a pink eraser (pencil or gum variety).
Most swore by Hand Sanitizer! (All I can figure is that its high isopropyl alcohol content, like polish remover and hairspray, has an effect.)
I had goo gone already (no help) and had some hand sanitizer (didn't wait long enough, evidently). Funny, but I didn't think to try plain shaving cream, which is a WONDERFUL carpet cleaner and is great for kids to play with and clean table tops at the same time. I'll try that if Anna ever has a relapse. ;)
Worried, I tried my last resort:

I hesitated to try because I have witnessed firsthand how it had removed flat paint from the walls of our home in Missouri with only light pressure. I was afraid it would do worse damage than the polish remover or other abrasives might have done. But, I couldn't imagine leaving all of those marks, so I pulled out the Magic Eraser, took a deep breath, and got to work.Here is the before of the piano keys:

Here is the AFTER once I used the Magic Eraser.
Seriously.So, I ventured over to the blinds and the bookshelf and the half-moon table. Success! No scratches or compromised surfaces were observed. The only things that didn't respond absolutely well were plastics like the Lego storage. I haven't tried my trusty nail polish remover on them yet.
As you saw in the picture of her hands,
the polish remover had smudged her No, not Magic Eraser. (Ha) ;)
A baby wipe. Yessiree Bob. ONE baby wipe cleaned it all.
Crisis averted. We didn't even have to do much disciplining, as she was so visibly upset by my reaction and concern from the beginning, that it was obvious she was punishing herself. She would even go point to the spots and say "Here. I sowwy."
Sweet girl!
the magic eraser really is magic! I will remember all of your tried and true tricks in case we ever have that happen to us!
ReplyDeleteYEA....i'm so glad that it worked!!! :) i've used it on some pretty tough stuff, but never a sharpie! nice to know it will get that too!
ReplyDeletepoor sweet anna...
Sweet sweet Anna......bless her heart! I'm so glad the sharpie marks have disappeared!
ReplyDeleteRubbing alcohol will remove sharpie. If it 70% you will need more than 100%. We use it in the lab all the time on our glassware.
ReplyDeleteif you figure out how to get sharpie out of upholstery, let me know. Our couch and recliner have been hiding under slipcovers. Alcohol was working OK, but it takes a LOT of scrubbing and doesn't get out of the creses/seams.
ReplyDelete