Saturday, August 15

D to the C, part tres

**sorry for the delay in my posts -- I have about 10 days where I'm not supposed to be up and around much, so it looks like I may have the chance to get caught back up... **

Our 10th wedding anniversary trip continued...

Nate was a pro at showing us around DC. One of the first places we went was to the Old Post Office building, where you can go up in the tower and get a great view of the city. In my visits to the City before, I had never had the chance to go up there. Let me share some of the beautiful sights with you!

Here is the Old Post Office Tower... regal!


*Click to see the full size pictures*
Here is the view across toward Virginia, with The Washington Monument, The Lincoln Memorial (at the right), and the World War II Memorial in between them. If you look on the far left, you'll see the Potomac River and the Pentagon. The Federal Triangle building complex is in the foreground. I love the perspective from this height.


Here is a closer view of the Lincoln Memorial and the state of Virginia across the river. In the top left corner, you may see the Mansion atop the hill at Arlington National Cemetery. We didn't make it to the cemetery this time around, but I'd highly recommend visiting!

What you might not realize is that hidden just beyond the roofline in the foreground (near the flags) is the White House, but I didn't have a great view of it from the tower, so, you'll just have to imagine it. :)


Panning to the left from the Washington Monument, you might notice the Pentagon again, the Jefferson Memorial, the National Mall (all the trees in the middle), the Bureau of Engraving and Printing, the Holocaust Museum, Reagan National Airport (across the river), and the Department of Agriculture building (the long white one just on the other side of the trees of the Mall). The large white building in the foreground just beyond the orange roofline is the Museum of American History. The buildings in the foreground with the orange or gray roofs are part of the Federal Triangle.


off to the North is the National Cathedral, where many national religious ceremonies have taken place [State funerals (Reagan, Ford, etc.) , prayer services, Presidential Inaugural ceremonies, etc.]...


...and the Basilica of the National Shrine of the Immaculate Conception, which is the largest Roman Catholic Church in North America.


Here is a view to the east down Pennsylvania Avenue toward the Capitol building, with the Senate chamber on the left and the House on the right, along with their respective Office buildings. Just over the left corner of the Capitol complex is the Supreme Court building. Just behind the Dome is the Jefferson building of the Library of Congress.

This last picture is just a really neat rooftop to the north of the tower that I thought was gorgeous. Sure, it's not a national landmark, but I thought it was yet another beautiful vista of the city.

Thanks, Nate, for opening our eyes to a new perspective on DC! It was definitely one of the highlights of our trip.

2 comments:

  1. these are great pictures...what a great anniversary trip and so perfect for you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, there are some awesome buildings in DC.

    ReplyDelete

I LOVE to hear from you! Thanks for stopping by!