We've experienced this in the past once or a couple of times, with unwise spending or with medical bills, but when you know you've practiced self control and it still happens, there's a helpless feeling that can be difficult to shake.
I had to make a conscious decision the other day not to wallow or despair. That's when a little verse popped into my mind... I have learned in whatever situation I am to be content... (something something something) in abundance and in need, I can do all things through Christ...
Wild how the Holy Spirit can whisper a verse back into your mind that you memorized a long time ago, even though it is against your very nature to be in automatic Spiritual Response mode.
So, I dragged myself to the Word and decided that I needed to get some context on that verse. Over time, I've learned a couple of things about God's Word:
- All Scripture is straight from God, and it's useful in every aspect of life.
- Every part of Scripture is a message originally written to a specific audience for a specific purpose. The undergirding principles in that message are of ultimate importance for me today, regardless of whether the original audience is "outdated" or the situation is foreign to me.
- If I don't read before and after a verse, I might misunderstand it.
- If I don't get that surrounding context, I might be tempted to twist it to apply to my situation, when it really doesn't.
Here's what I read:
written by Paul to the group of believers in Philippi (modern day Greece near Turkey)
Philippians chapter 4, verse 4 and following
4 Rejoice in the Lord always; again I will say, Rejoice. 5 Let your reasonableness be known to everyone. The Lord is at hand; 6 do not be anxious about anything, but in everything by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known to God. 7 And the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.
Ouch. I wasn't rejoicing always. I was being unreasonable and anxious. However, WOW. The Lord is at hand. I can take my concerns to Him instead of being anxious. Because Christ has redeemed me, He gives me unfathomable peace in exchange, which will guide my heart and mind.
Ok. That's what I need to be thinking about instead of having a pity party. This will be so much more easy with that unfathomable peace that guards my mind. God is with me.8 Finally, brothers, whatever is true, whatever is honorable, whatever is just, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is commendable, if there is any excellence, if there is anything worthy of praise, think about these things. 9 What you have learned and received and heard and seen in me—practice these things, and the God of peace will be with you.
Financial abundance does not necessarily indicate God's approval or blessing, nor does lack of money mean that God disapproves. Paul had seasons of both as he faithfully lived out God's call on his life.God's Provision
10 I rejoiced in the Lord greatly that now at length you have revived your concern for me. You were indeed concerned for me, but you had no opportunity. 11 Not that I am speaking of being in need, for I have learned in whatever situation I am to be content. 12 I know how to be brought low, and I know how to abound. In any and every circumstance, I have learned the secret of facing plenty and hunger, abundance and need. 13 I can do all things through him who strengthens me.
14 Yet it was kind of you to share my trouble. 15 And you Philippians yourselves know that in the beginning of the gospel, when I left Macedonia, no church entered into partnership with me in giving and receiving, except you only. 16 Even in Thessalonica you sent me help for my needs once and again. 17 Not that I seek the gift, but I seek the fruit that increases to your credit. 18 I have received full payment, and more. I am well supplied, having received from Epaphroditus the gifts you sent, a fragrant offering, a sacrifice acceptable and pleasing to God. 19 And my God will supply every need of yours according to his riches in glory in Christ Jesus. 20 To our God and Father be glory forever and ever. Amen.
Verses from the ESV Study Bible
That's it. Because I'm in Christ, my needs will be taken care of. For His glory.I wanted to believe that. I do believe that, in an abstract way. I choose to trust.
Then He whispered again.
Something I had done a few days prior that popped back up again without warning. I discovered our neighbors' 3 schnauzers out one afternoon because their garage door was left open by accident when they left for work. We don't know our neighbors well, but I wrangled the dogs back into the garage, and managed to shut the door without them getting out. I told them that evening about putting their dogs back, but that I wasn't sure if their belongings in the garage had been affected or taken during the time period before I came home. (They have a really nice car that was in the garage also and was still there). The neighbor thanked me profusely for helping rescue the dogs. I went home.
Within half an hour of reading Philippians (above) and deciding I would choose to be a doer of what I read instead of reading and forgetting, there was a knock on the door. I don't like answering the door when Scott's not home, but when they wouldn't go away, I answered. It was my neighbor and her husband. This is why they came over:
A week's worth of groceries and a toy dog for my kids in thanks for something I thought was inconsequential and just something neighbors do for each other. It was my turn for profuse thanksgiving, both to the neighbors...
and to my Lord, who whispered a tiny little concrete reminder that The God of Peace is near to those who follow Him.
I'm thankful for this time of frugality. This required simplicity will teach me to not be attached to material things. It has already opened a door to get to know our neighbors better. I choose to rejoice and eagerly learn whatever else the Lord will teach us during this season of our lives.


No comments:
Post a Comment
I LOVE to hear from you! Thanks for stopping by!