Saturday, August 19

Those Brilliant Marketing Ploys

You know the ad agencies are smart. They recognize that kids will beg their parents for the toys they see on TV. They also know that children begin recognizing symbols around the age of 2. (Caleb knew what Dr. Pepper was in our household long ago, and he'll tell you that when he's tall, he can drink some.) So here's how I know that they've really gotten to us:

Caleb doesn't watch much TV, but when he does, it's Blue's Clues, Little Einsteins, WonderPets, Dora the Explorer (the little kids stuff), or what he catches in passing from Fox News. Music in almost any form puts him in a trance, so we've noticed that even while in another room, if a familiar underscore on a familiar commercial comes on, he zips into the living room to watch. Particular favorites have been DirecTV's NFL Sunday Ticket (2005) and this year's Suave shampoo (the invisible mom) and the HondaOdyssey(?) commercial (The Magic Bus song). Those ad agencies have gotten clever, and in between the kids shows, they'll advertise household/family products rather than toys.

They've gotten to us. Caleb, Anna, and I are perusing the aisles of Wal-Mart, and we stop at the household cleaners aisle for some Clorox something. I'm pretty product-loyal, so I get the same things almost every time. However, as we pass the dish detergents, Caleb squeals, "Look mom! It's the 2-in-1 Action Paks!" (Cascade). Then, next to the laundry detergents, much to the delight of the lady next to us, he says "Let's get some Downy Simple Pleasures."

Maybe I'll turn off the tv now for good. Hmmmm, or insert Scripture commercials concerning appropriate behavior! {*conniving grin*}



1 comment:

  1. Anonymous11:46 PM

    I'm so glad you're recording this stuff - it's PRICELESS!

    Aunt Licia loves her McDonalds (of course, we all could handle some fries with that, but you know I mean you 4... :) )

    ReplyDelete

I LOVE to hear from you! Thanks for stopping by!