Saturday, July 18

Tea Party

Boston style, not Princess style...

Many of you know that I keep a close eye on politics, that I care a great deal about our country, and that I have strong conservative sentiments about what makes government effective: small size, limited controls, fiscal responsibility, championing morality and the value of human life, encouraging individuals to excel as opposed to feeding a sense of entitlement and complacency.

When tax day rolled around and we as a nation were already looking at an irresponsible spending plan that promised to bring debt to generations to come and higher taxes (even hidden ones) as a result, I took note of the fact that there was a Tea Party planned in our general vicinity to peacefully show frustration with the direction of our government's leadership and also support of responsible fiscal policy and the values that make our nation distinct.

I consider myself informed, but not an activist; I had not intended to participate, but to monitor whatever information came out after the fact. We happened to be out and about that day, so before things got going with the event, we visited the site. It was a pretty day.


I ended up staying for the first 20 min. to see what would happen. Mimi kept the kids in the car watching a video. I was impressed with the diversity of the crowd and the balance of strong patriotic feelings and respectful discontent held by the participants. The event was scheduled to last 3 or 4 hours, and even as early as 20 min. following the beginning of the event, there were at least 500 there. Here are some pictures!


Families representing many cultures and economic backgrounds...
Many people carrying copies of the Constitution, homemade signs, flags, and teabags.

One girl's sign read "6 years old and already in debt".

This soldier was wearing his Camo hat and Squadron T-shirt from his service during the war in Iraq.

A speaker who facilitated discussion, celebration of the founding values of the country, and introduced other notable local speakers. Local news reported a ceremony at the end where the symbolic bags of "tea" were tossed into the Bay (and reeled back in to support stewardship of the environment, of course).
Let me encourage you out there to pay better attention to what is going on in our nation! It only takes a moment or two to call your Representative or Senator's office to register your opinion on upcoming legislation. They respond better to phone calls than emails or web-generated form submissions. Call even if you support your Congressman's proclaimed stance... they need encouragement as well as dissent!

Future generations will thank us for being involved and not just watching as things happen! Our liberties (read: religious expression, etc.) and our finances (read: not just income, but ability to give to ministry, missions, and charity) will be most certainly be affected --either preserved or damaged-- by decisions made by those who have been elected to represent us.

1 comment:

  1. Wow...Lori...that sounds like it was very interesting and I am not surprised that you stopped by!

    ReplyDelete

I LOVE to hear from you! Thanks for stopping by!